Wednesday, October 06, 2004

expert or wannabe web surfer

This site is authored by Barbara Feldman, who writes a weekly column on websites that are pertinent to that week's topic. For example, if the topic is Mars, she finds and describes five websites on Mars that are appropriate for children.

I would think that the site design would reinforce Ms. Feldman's status as a web expert rather than a web wannabe. But it doesn't. Everywhere I turn, someone is hawking something to me. If I go to hamster games, I see ads for hamster products. There are also ads to buy items made in Israel, medical organizers, a device for my elderly parents, and sports tickets. It reminds me of the carnival game hawkers at the county fair.

Even for a veteran surfer like me, separating the educational content from the advertising content is difficult. I couldn't leave my kids here alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home