Thursday, September 23, 2004

BBC World War II History

I liked the idea of a kid's view of life in Britain during World War II (or World War 2 at this site). The concepts are excellent: read evacuee's letters; play a rationing game by trying to shop for staples; visit a typical home. I let both of my kids "play" here -- though the site is mostly text with graphics rather than interactive games, I thought that my oldest son (the history buff whose grandfather fought in WWII) would love it. But he didn't. He could read a "Dear America" book for hours so he is used to intaking historical information without the flash. I think, though, he wanted a different kind of experience for his computer games (he adores PBS' Liberty Kids by the way) and this section within this site fell short of his expectations.

I do like though that the BBC has content directly aligned with school curriculum. Also I love being able to learn what British kids are learning and find out what chapters in history are significant to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home