Tuesday, September 21, 2004

BBC's Pods Mission in Science

The BBC educational section covers not only basic topics for K-2 but has advanced topics (such as an area devoted to Ancient Greece) for older grades. My 7-year-old tried out the flash version of the character Pod's "solids and liquids" game. I would have thought that the game would teach different concepts about solids and liquids but instead this particular game focused on freezing and melting temperatures. The use of celsius rather than fahrenheit measurement of temperatures was confusing to me, as I watched. My son was able to figure out the answers by process of elimination but other than allowing him to use a learning (or guessing) strategy, the game was more confusing than helpful-and will be confusing until the US converts to metric and celcius measurements.

Still, I want to explore the other areas of this site as it looks intriguing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home