Tuesday, October 05, 2004

make the flashing lights go away

This site features lots of ads and things flashing. The constant movement is distracting and not conducive to learning.

Categories and topics are presented nicely, though similar to a commercial directory. All links go to other pages in the syvum site. I tried the Thrillionaire game for U.S. Capitals. One miss ends a game, I very quickly learned. Although the instant feedback is nice, it is discouraging, especially when you are just getting started. I would prefer a nice try and a score at the end of a round that reflects my miss rather than starting over--of course, it wouldn't be thrilling and thrillionaire if the game were set up differently.

There are also constant pop-ups requesting permission for downloads, which my second grader is often willing to accept in order to make them go away. I've taught him to say "no" to downloads but the constant requesting in this site wins my award for the worst site today, and perhaps of any that I will encounter this semester.

Kids need to be protected from this type of site--the content may be acceptable but the crass advertising is not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home