Monday, January 31, 2005

My friend Carolyn wins international award

My friend and civic-club colleague Carolyn has won the International Sertoman of the Year award. The coverage of this happening has been limited so I'm covering it here.

Carolyn is an excellent leader and I've learned alot about leadership by observing her. Here's what I've learned and hope that it honors her:

  • Make people feel valued, not pressured.
  • Trust your instincts but don't rely on them.
  • Don't spout off on what you think is true, do some fact-finding, get some expert opinions, and check it out (whatever the topic) in person.
  • Make a decision and stick with it (and don't be afraid to make a decision-that's what leaders do).
  • If you get people involved in the planning, they are more likely to do the work.
  • Listen to everyone-you never know where a great idea or inspiration will come from.
  • If you have a chance to go to Europe (even if it's for the weekend), go for it.

Thanks Carolyn for all you've taught me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home