Friday, December 24, 2004

"a joy to teach" and other pre-fab statements

A few years ago, my husband and I went to observe, at the Y's invitation, the last day of swim classes for my older son. The classes took place at the local YMCA taught by high-school and college-age instructors, full of energy and optimism. My son didn't learn how to swim that summer and didn't do all the swim-tricks the other kids did on this last day, meant for celebration. Still his teacher wrote a nice note, accompanying her evaluation that proclaimed him a "joy to teach." I peered at another child's evaluation (a close friend so that should be okay, right?) and saw that he too was a "joy to teach."

My husband and I laughed, and he wondered aloud if there was a "joy to teach" stamp hidden among the swim goggles, kickboards, and evaluation forms.

So, I have learned that there are generic, though valid and nice, evaluations.

I guess that in my most recent online, distance education class that some pre-fab suggestions were dispensed. They might include: "Try to enhance the content and design of your blog. As they say: 'The blog brings the voice and identity of its creator to the surface.' Keeps (sic) the content of your blog fresh and meaningful. This will help you turn your blog into a MICROPORTAL with fresh content that will keep readers coming back."

So I diligently enhanced the look of my blog; honestly, it needed work-there were a few design glitches that I had ignored but saw that they needed attention. I also decided that I should prioritize adding links of interest.

Still, when I read another student's mention of the changes she made to her blog based on instructor feedback, I was reminded of the "joy to teach" episode. The comments, I think, were very similar to the ones I received.

Should teachers stop being generic? Should they stop being kind? Certainly not; but they could mix up the words a bit: one kid could be a joy, another great fun. And students ( and parents) can be more discerning and judge whether the proverbial shoe fits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home