Sunday, January 09, 2005

My Amelia-Bedelia-like sister makes tobacco prediction (1990)

I have an Amelia-Bedelia-like sister; actually I can be like her too (both my sister and Amelia Bedelia). My common sense is often cannibalized by imprecise wording, misplaced commas, or ill-chosen words of others. So how many times do I and my sister have to hear, "that's what we said, but that's not what we meant" from sales people, school administrators, customer service reps and more to realize that we think a bit differently than other folks? It's a burden oftentimes. I have finally learned to dumb-down my interpretations while still holding fast to my choose-your-words-carefully convictions.

Still, it can be fun to see what the rest of the world doesn't; that is, when we are being annoying to people by holding them to doing what they say.

An example? Protesting that I shouldn't sign a privacy policy notification stating that I've read the policy when I haven't although I will receive it (the full policy) upon signing. (The corporate compliance officer agreed with me btw though the office staff found me odd for complaining).

Back to the fun part: my sister has been saying for years that one day, tobacco will be found to have medicinal benefits. She just happens to see things that most people miss-except the folks at Targacept, an RJR spinoff that is doing research on the medicinal benefits of nicotine, a key ingredient in tobacco. I'm not surprised: my big sister already told me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home