Monday, December 27, 2004

Kyle and other heroes and heroines

My oldest and I were watching TV Christmas evening and landed on a Larry King interview with Kyle Maynard. Kyle is a student-athlete (a wrestler at the University of Georgia) and motivational speaker. He's learned to live (and get around and take care of himself independently) with a rare birth disorder that left him with "only three major joints: a neck and two shoulders." The photos at his site illustrate his physical capabilities.

Kyle and his parents talked about faith and purpose, which seem to be intertwined. They spoke of his impact on other people, of his disorder leading to this purpose. Obviously, his parents were appropriately proud of his accomplishments and their family's ability to celebrate them in this spirit of faith.

As the interview continued, I became, like many viewers, curious about his girlfriend, whom he had met at a high school speaking engagement in Buffalo, NY. Larry told us that we would meet her, and I eagerly awaited this portion of the interview.

A few days before, I had visited a new friend, who had a baby about a month ago. She is bright, well-educated, fun, energetic, and hopeful, and has chosen as a life partner someone who is confined to a wheelchair. When she spoke of not being able to leave her child in the care of her husband due to his physical limitations, I could think only of the physical exhaustion that I would experience. Not being able to hand off my child when I was ready to sleep would be difficult. This, I'm guessing, is much what many moms and dads go through when one works an opposite shift or for some reason, is not at home.

Such a life commitment is tremendous-not just in the way it alters our life-goals but also in the way we live each hour, each day.

So I was especially intrigued by Kyle's girlfriend Elizabeth. She was young (about a year younger than Kyle, I think) but sure of her passion for this young man, not just of her romantic intentions. Her interest not just in him but how their lives could be shaped, and made better, by knowing each other was what most impressed me.

I think that is what we all should hope for: purpose; and people who not only love us but also help us become what we were made for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home