Saturday, October 21, 2006

Playing my own kid games

Having survived my 5K in the spring, I was ready for new challenges. After learning of a charity cycling event that would benefit a local United Methodist agency in June, I decided to take part. Okay, it was a little wacky to join a 3-day, 255-mile bike ride to the beach, but, now that I'm over 39, I realize that not only is life short, it's really short and good, long-lasting health isn't guaranteed to anyone.

I made new friends and re-learned how to be a kid now that I am cycling some. Here are a few things I've remembered:

  • Brakes are nice but usually not necessary;
  • You never know who you will meet (my new friends range from a Master Sergeant who finished 2 tours in Vietnam to a graduate student at WFU);
  • Don't be afraid to try something new -- mapping the course is not necessary if you have a friend along;
  • People like you if are kind and positive rather than just fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home