Friday, April 07, 2006

Sizing up the 5K Competition

I decided, after about 20 years or so, to re-enter the world of community track races (aka 5ks and 10Ks). After getting in reasonable shape via strength training, laps around the indoor tracks, an occasion jaunt on the outdoor tracks, and 30-minute or so sessions on the Precor, I figrured that I was ready to try a 5k. I had run in my late teens and early 20s, and managed to have a personal best of something like 55:38 (a nine-minute mile) in the Charlotte Observer 10K.

Two babies (now 12 and 9) and lots of responsibilities later, I hadn't had much time to train. But when I started to realize that the Y membership was going to run me less than long-term care insurance, I decided to start working out really regularly. I did walk and run some before, which I think helped alot, but the stats that the Y machines give you helped me to measure my progress and keep me motivated.

Anyway, I had wanted to run in a race for a while but didn't think I could handle a 10K. So when I saw that a private school less than a mile from my house was offering a 5K cross country race (which meant not getting up too terribly early on a Saturday), I decided to enter it.

My first order of business was making sure that I could actually run 3 miles. I lightened up on the weight training, and increased my mileage over the course of a few weeks steadily to 3 miles the week of the race.

Then, I decided to see just how competitive the races were. My memory, which can still be good on certain subjects, was that the races were fairly competitive. Fortunately, the local track club (Twin City Track Club) posts race results for nearly all the area races. I checked it out.

There was bad news: nearly all the runners ran in 13-minute miles or less; I was hoping for a 15-minute mile or just a little less depending on how I did on race day. There are even some runners, much much older than me who can run a 5K in say 25 or 30 minutes.

And there was good news. There was little competition in my age and gender group (interestingly, the competition was stiffer in older groups, in some cases) and since many of the race organizers give trophies to the top three finishers in designated age groups, male and female, I figured I could possibly look good for trying.

I was glad to have the information that I tapped into from the 'net. It helped me plan my strategy (go faster than I was planning to originally) and stick around for the awards ceremony (because I just might win something!!).

The day of the race I sized up the competition not by athleticism but by possible age.

The course was truly cross country, and there were hills!! A 76-year-old man passed me, but I managed to run faster (overall) than a few of the under 14-year-olds. I finished with a respectable 39:38 and was most glad that a search party was not necessary to retrieve me.

And the most fun? Accepting my 2nd place trophy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home