Thursday, October 20, 2005

SPam on BLOG (SPLOG)

I've had my blog for about a year now and just recently (the past week or so) I started receiving comments from bogus bloggers. They leave comments on my blog and invite me (or my readers if there are any) to visit their sites. I find this practice very annoying and although I first labeled it cyber-begging, I now know that it is splog-ing or perhaps splogging, the equivalent of spamming blogs.

According to a Wall Street Journal article, splogging is an automated process, much like spamming is. Apparently, there is software that creates the bogus blogs (those who leave comments are registered blogger users) and then leaves the comments. The practice exploits the search engine ranking system as well as users like me who try to uncover culprits but may give them profits by clicking through on their websites.

The article mentioned a blogosphere protecter, who I've linked to here.

1 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger webmaster said...

Why don't you set up or enable the new "moderate comments" setting? It's new and I think it works. The comments need to be moderated by you first before it gets posted. And I also set up the "word verfication", an extra step to thwart the spam bots from leaving comments.

Although I still get some comments, I can be sure that they don't pollute my comments area.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home