Thursday, November 11, 2004

kids grow up

I went to help chaperone at the camp on Monday and Tuesday.

I learned that orienteering is more than just reading a compass. It involves using the compass to identify locations (landmarks) in a highly precise, no-mistakes-allowed setting.

The big surprise for me though was the high ropes course. The high ropes course that I had mastered once consisted of a challenging climb (rope ladder and some off-the-ground platforms), a walk across a suspended walkway, and a quick rappel from the highest platform to the ground. The rappel length was about 30-40 feet.

I should explain what the purpose of a high ropes course is, though I'm not entirely sure. I think that completing the ropes task (the particular task may vary from course to course) helps the participant build self-confidence by showing that a risk is worth taking. It also requires the participant to show trust in the facilitator or leader.

The high ropes course at this kids' camp reminded me of an acrobatic stunt at the circus. Apparently the high ropes feature that the kids were to use is called a zip-line. The kids are secured to the zip line by a harness and rope. After climbing a platform, the kid has to step off and fly into the woods, suspended above ground about 10-15 feet. The length of the zip-line/ride is about 40 yards.

I couldn't stay to see all of the kids try, but I stayed to see what my son would do. As a younger child, he was fearful of new situations. Even as old as 8, he became anxious at what I perceived to be innocuous activities: going to an after-school art class with kids he didn't know; and riding a paddleboat for the first time. On the one hand, I didn't want to push him into scary situations; on the other, I didn't want him to be a fearful kid or grown-up.

So, I waited to see what he would do or not do. The climb to the platform was a bit challenging. I noticed that some kids made it up in seconds, others took minutes. My son struggled but made it in a reasonable time. After the leader secured him, it was just a moment before he stepped off and went for his suspended-in-air ride.

I think I have finally realized that kids do grow up. It's hard for me to let go of my life-span-memory bank that makes all memories seem equally relevant (whether they are when my child is six months or 8 years) and exchange them for yesterday's moment in order for me to see who my child is today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home