Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Rural Hall Elementary's Blogs and More

My oldest son (10 years old, fifth grade) volunteered to represent his school at the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School's Technology Fair. He, a few other kids, the PE teacher, and the Tech teacher presented an application for using hand-held computers to chart physical activity of students.

Of course, there were exhibits from other schools in the system. One that I was particularly intrigued by was Rural Hall Elementary School. They use blogs! I've provided a link to the technology page so you can see their other applications as well.

In regards to the blogs, they aren't used intensively but the kids are getting familiar with this method of publishing; once the hardware is in place, publishing is free with blogspot--no paper or copier time required!

I also read last week about a high school teacher who used blogs. Students posted pre-screened essays to blogs. There is something, apparently, about having your comments published that motivates kids.

1 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger smallishmom said...

Thanks for the site recommendations Dean. When I first started doing searches on Mom sites, most of the ones that I found were pretty stereotypical and predictable. I am still learning how to find intriguing cyberplaces to visit. These look interesting as well as my new Australia friend's site.
JR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home